First Church of Christ, Scientist, Baltimore is the outcome of a long-standing and sincere desire to share the teachings and blessings of Christian Science. As early as 1887, Christian Science was being taught and practiced in Baltimore and, since 1893, services have been held regularly, first in private homes and rental spaces. First Church of Christ, Scientist of Baltimore City was formally organized and recognized with a charter from the State of Maryland on March 13, 1894.
On November 1910, a lot on University Parkway was purchased with a view to having a permanent church home. The cornerstone was laid on October 23 1911. The basement was used for services beginning on Christmas Eve, 1911. The building was completed on October 2, 1913 and dedicated, with great rejoicing, on May 25, 1919.
“Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that built it.” — Psalm 127